RANCH POLICY & WAIVER
VISITING AB RANCH
Parking for A Lotte Horses guests is up top only, near our corrals. No A Lotte Horses parking near the big red barn unless you are able to display an accessible parking placard. The parking near the red barn is limited and in use by other ranch staff and tenants. Visiting dogs are not welcome at the ranch. The ranch is private property, and the trails are open for our lessons & programs only. You are welcome to walk the ranch while your children are taking lessons on the roads only, unless accompanied by a staff member or ranch host.
EQUESTRIAN CODE of CONDUCT
I understand that riding at any standard has inherent risk and that all horses may react unpredictably on occasions.
• I may fall off and could be injured. I accept that risk.
• I understand that instructions are given for my safety and agree to follow instructions given to me by staff and instructors at the riding school.
• I understand that wearing an appropriate riding helmet and body protector may reduce the severity of an injury should an accident happen and agree that I will always wear a riding helmet whist riding. I understand it is my choice whether or not I wear a body protector.
• I understand that the riding school will make decisions based on information I give them and agree to always be honest and volunteer information about:
- my abilities and riding experience
- any previous riding accidents
- any medical condition(s) which may affect my ability to ride
• I understand that children are at particular risk around horses and agree that I will keep any children that I am responsible for, under close supervision when they are not being instructed by the riding school.
• I understand that the riding school may refuse my request to ride for safety and operational reasons.
RANCH RULES, POLICY & WAIVER
- All riders under 18 must wear a helmet.
- All riders must wear long pants and boots.
- All riders under 18 must be supervised by Lotte, or by an adult while riding if Lotte has given the specific rider permission.
- No jumping unless during a lesson and while under instructor supervision.
- No one on foot is allowed in the arena unless assisting with lessons and you are asked to enter.
- Riders and not parents are responsible for grooming, cleaning stalls, checking water and feeding.
- Young riders may need parental support to complete their tasks.
- If someone else has cleaned your stall for you, please clean a different stall.
- Be respectful of the ranch. If rules are not respected we reserve the right to remove students from our programs without any refund.
- Remember this ranch is home to people who are not part of A Lotte Horses. Please treat the property with respect and be mindful of your proximity to someone's house. (No shouting under windows, no letting horses eat cultivated plants, etc.)
- Respect Tina's rules regarding her animals, including when or how you can interact with her animals. Remember that their welfare comes before your entertainment.
- If you know more, please help more.
- Work together to accomplish tasks, and have a good attitude about helping out. You will need someone's help at some point in your life as well!
- Put away all equipment, regardless of if it is yours. If you don't know where something goes, ask.
- If you see something out of place, broken or that is clearly trash, put it where it belongs.
- No smoking or vaping in the corral area or beside arenas.
The undersigned ("Client") wishes to come onto AB Ranch Property, to participate in activities provided by A Lotte Horses/ A Lotte Opportunity Foundation ("ALH/ALOF") that take place with, around and in the vicinity of various animals, including but not limited to horses, dogs, cats, wild snakes and domestic and wild animals. The Client understands that there are inherent risks in participating in activities on a ranch, and must keep themselves and any children under their responsibility as safe as possible by abiding by all rules and common sense, and agrees to hold harmless ALH/ALOF and AB Ranch. The Client understands that this agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by law. The Client understands that no animal is completely safe, and assumes the risks associated with being on ranch property and interacting with animals, even if the Client is only acting as a spectator. If the Client is volunteering for ALH or ALOF, they must also abide by all safety rules, and assume all risks associated with working around horses. The Client also understands that volunteering does not include payment of any sort, and there is no sweat equity accrued. The Client understands that in participating in equestrian activites including but not limited to riding, showing, and being around horses, there is always a risk of injury and death, and understands they are responsible for understanding and following all safety rules. The Client is also responsible for explaining these rules to any child they are accompanying, regardless of Guardianship. In signing below, the Client agrees to hold harmless and not to bring forth any claims, demands, action and cause of action, and/or litigation against AB Ranch, A Lotte Horses, A Lotte Opportunity Foundation. Aloha Animal Experience (Tina's animals) and AB Ranch, as well as their managers and owners for any injuries to the Client, their children or their property that may be incurred while on AB Ranch. In addition, the Client understands that simply by being on the premise creates risk of injury and will bring no cause of action related to any injury sustained while being on the ranch.
• All cancellations must be made in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Payments made in full are refundable less the non-refundable deposit ($100 for a week of summer) if cancelled 30 days prior to attending.
• Cancellations received within 30 days of the start date receive zero refund.
• Deposits for all riding programs are non-refundable.
• If space is available, we can transfer riders to a different session within the same season if needed.
• In case of lesson cancellation by A Lotte Horses, we will offer makeup lesson times. If 3 makeup times are offered and are not suitable, the lesson is forfeited.
• In cases of long term medical or family need, credit can be frozen for up to 6 months with 7 days notice.
• With 48hrs+ notice, weekly riders can reschedule their lessons via our self serve online calendar. This option is online only (we cannot reschedule for you via phone, email or text message). This policy does not apply to private programs or homeschool programs.
• We do not offer makeups for cancellations less than 48hrs, or no shows.
• Any and all credit is valid for the season offered, or a maximum of 6 months.
• Riders or parents are responsible for getting in touch to schedule rides owed.
DROP OFF and PICK UP
Please ALWAYS be sure to see the instructor with your own eyes - not just their vehicle. Working with animals, occasionally there are emergencies which take us off site, and we do not wish for children to be dropped off without an adult present. Once students arrive, they need to check in with their instructor or sign in on the board and start preparations as directed. Unless written parental authorization has been given, all minor students must stay on-site, in ALH areas of the ranch only, for the duration of their time at the ranch. Please be sure to notify the instructor if someone other than the parent/ guardian listed will be picking up your child. NO RIDER or child is to be left unattended before or after classes. Please drop off and pick up your child on time; ideally no sooner than 10 minutes before class begins, or 5 minutes after class ends. Should you need to drop off your child earlier due to work or other commitments please let us know so we can assist you.
In addition to healthy snacks, lunch and water, students should have long pants, boots, a helmet, hat and a sweater, as appropriate. We have helmets to borrow, but regular riders are expected to acquire their own, to ensure the best, safe fit.
Water bottles are encouraged (please label them and do not share them). Gum chewing is not permitted while riding. Lunch bags should be labeled with the students name. Keep lunch and snack containers sealed at all times - we have some cheeky thieving barn cats who would love to help themselves to your food! Students will be responsible for cleaning up after themselves and taking any left-over food and packaging home with then at the end of their class.
Minors - no tobacco use, vaping, alcohol, marijuana or any other banned or illicit substances are to be used or brought to the ranch.
CELL PHONES, CAMERAS, RECORDING DEVICES
Cell phones must be turned off during lessons unless being used with instructor approval. Repeated texting or inappropriate use of your phone during time at the ranch will result in confiscation of the device, it will be returned at the end of class. Students who need to keep their phones on during riding for emergency purposes should notify the instructor at the start of the lesson.
Please leave electronics, jewelry and other valuables at home, ALH/ALOF is NOT responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items.
LOST AND FOUND
Any items left behind will be put in the coat rack area. This area is cleared out periodically, and items left long term are donated.
Appropriate dress is required for all our riders. Long pants and sturdy closed toe shoes are a requirement to ride. No bare midriffs or bare legs. Please wear comfortable clothing that allows you to move freely, especially when sitting in a saddle. Students participating may be required to sit on the ground, and engage in craft projects involving paint and glue. Clothing to avoid: tight jeans, sandals, skirts, bare midriffs. Consider that clothing is also a form of protection when you ride.
We have boots available for loan in an emergency. They are not there as a library for your every visit. Please make use of them if you are in need or forgot your own. Please return them in a respectful state before departing.
In case of last minute cancellation, we will send a notification via Remind - please join our remind group here: https://www.remind.com/join/lottehorse This service is free, and sends a pop-up notification. Due to limited phone service and WiFi in the canyon, it is sometimes the only way we can get a message out to all.
Email is the best way we can communicate with our families, so please refrain from contacting us via phone unless it is an emergency.
Phone Lotte 805 794 1154
Phone Sushila 805 410 2854
A Lotte Horses relies heavily on word of mouth for all our programming. Sharing your experience and inviting friends to attend is a great way to show your support. We offer a free additional lesson to riders for referrals if the referral joins for the season.
INCIDENTS AND ACCIDENTS
All behavioral incidents, accidents and injuries will be reported and documented. In severe cases, parents and/or emergency contacts will be notified by phone.
If you have a concern or complaint, please contact your instructor, or Lotte Swauger or Sushila Wood directly. We are here to listen and take a proactive approach to finding a solution to any problem that may arise.
BEFORE DEPARTING after LESSONS
Please check that your rider has completed their chores, and gathered ALL their things - sweaters and water bottles get left behind in abundance.
~ Enjoy your time at the ranch! ~